1876 – The Founding of the Congregation
On May 6, 1876, Alice Mary makes her vows and becomes Sister Catherine Mary Antoninus, the Mother Prioress of the Dominican Congregation of Our Lady of the Rosary. With Lucy and another woman, the Congregation has three members, growing to nine by the end of the year. The Sisters shelter destitute women and children in their home. With scarce resources, the Sisters beg for alms and take in washing. Mother Catherine becomes ill and dies on March 2, 1879. The struggles continue. While caring for the poor, the Sisters’ own dire straits threaten the viability of the congregation.