Mother Dominic Dowling is chosen as the new Prioress. With fearless and practical leadership abilities, she begins to stabilize the small congregation whose ranks had fallen to eight members, following the departure of 14 Sisters in the year following the death of foundress. Caring for orphaned children becomes the major ministry.
Mother Dominic sees the need for a permanent home. With the help of generous friends and benefactors, she buys four lots on East 63rd Street. In November 1881, the Sisters and 52 children move into the newly-built Holy Rosary Convent.